While I am waiting


While I am waiting
Today as I sit here waiting for an answer to a prayer I have constantly made for the last three years, I shiver as my wild mind craft forms of the many options I have to choose from.
Because the way I see it, I have waited for way too long and it’s time to start moving,

All this while the wind around my ankles has been moving freely across dried leaves and for once I wish I had its cognisance. One that is spontaneous, powerful and unbound.
I am anxious.

The weaver birds around here are incredible and similarly resentful.
shutterstock
They sing with synchronized pitches and tones for a whole hour while sharing a fraction of warmth with each other. They seem happy and I seem agitated. I guess that’s what waiting does. It gives one time to examine the ordinary and ask questions of things they simply take for granted.
I am waiting.

You see for me, whether I’m waiting for a friend to show up or for hope to return in moments of despair; the feeling is equally unsettling.
As writers will tell you, ‘expectation postponed is making the heart sick’; worse still if such expectations are unguaranteed.

In either of these the anxiety is gruelling.
It’s like a grain of sand in between the front-teeth; no pain but sufficient discomfort to keep things irritable. And the more one keeps digging it out, the more unsettling it becomes. In fact, it’s just but a matter of time before pain thrives.
Such is waiting.

Plus God took it a notch higher; I know He requires me to wait patiently in confidence and I am tempted to wonder why.
Why He seems to be silent when I desperately need Him to speak, but then I am prompted of His steadfast love and mercy,
shutterstock
For He knows the number of hair on my head,
He declares the end from the beginning,
He knows that I don’t need it now; that’s why I don’t have it yet and so I wait.

Yes I will wait.
I will wait for Him even when I doubt Him,
I will wait because I know He will soon be here; but even if He doesn’t show up I will still wait.
Because even when in humanly wisdom He is way too late, He is still on time.

Mwende

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rightful Thinking

You make your life through your thoughts; make it well. My grandma used to say this countless times such that it became a saying that ...