JOURNEY INTO THY SELF



JOURNEY INTO THY SELF
Afew years ago, I flourished within a company of sassy-striking school girls with their energy clearly out of this world.

We had just moved into the dining hall that was shortly converted into a dance floor and the music in there was soothing_ well until it sooner turned into factually noise.
We moved from chatting to singing to slow-dancing to screaming for no good reason at all.

lovethyself
I remember searching for my friend through the crowd that moved like a multi-headed beast that only shared one brain. The dance floor was fully filled with everyone showcasing their best moves. For a moment I felt a sincere touch of togetherness and in another I felt like we were just a bunch of filthy noisemakers and immediately my mind shifted. I just wanted to go home but then I stayed.

‘Hey, is all that your hair?’ a smooth exquisite voice proceeded just above my left shoulder close enough to smell the drenched face.
I was not ready for any meaningful conversation. I was tired. The kind that needs a good night's sleep.
But then I still responded.  ‘Yes’ I said with an inviting twinkle and as they say, the rest is history.

Looking back, I’m glad I met Lisa.
Because that very chat was a reflection of a slave set free for life.
Of one who lived free tangibly yet one with a bound mind that had to be continually reminded that it’s free indeed.
Yet one who purposefully chooses to walk free each single day.

What she didn’t know is that wearing my natural hair that day was the easiest thing I have had to do overtime in comparison to the striking long journey taken back to myself.

lovethyself
You see, the world is effusively crowded with what beauty seems like.
The “kind of beauty” that gets us crowded and running in pursuit of the elusive not realizing that BEAUTY begins within.

I have had to constantly DRAW BACK INTO SELF and JUST LOVE ME.
Because you got to love yourself deeply to give love back.

‘Your hair is like a crown’, she said calmly and smiled in awe and I couldn’t stop sobbing.
‘And you are beautiful and you got to see it FIRST before anyone else does’, I mumbled while still balancing tears.

That day, at the corner of a veranda outside the dance hall, I realized that sometimes we all need someone to tap on our spines and trigger the vigour we so desperately need to LOVE OURSELVES DEEPER.

Then something felt good to my soul to this day.

Mwende  

9 comments:

  1. Aaaawww 😍how I enjoy reading your articles..& yes you are beautiful both inside out..am blessed to have you as a friend 😘

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh.. thanks for always reading them. I am amazingly blessed to have you. you should see my face now #smiling

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow....nice piece self love is very important

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ana belle. you're right. Self love is the best thing we can all give ourselves.

      Delete
  4. Look at this beautiful soul! I love this piece...I wanna date me, love me more!! cheers Mwende

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh!! I'm already tearing up. I'm so glad you read this. Go for it girl. We can as well tag each other along.

      Delete
  5. This is a concomitant piece. Short, to the point. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a lot Mwende. All we need is someone to tap our spines and trigger the vigour we so desperately need.......I love that part.

    ReplyDelete

Rightful Thinking

You make your life through your thoughts; make it well. My grandma used to say this countless times such that it became a saying that ...