Its My Signature

Its My Signature
“Hey you; use your other hand” she shouted.
“But madam, it’s not strong enough to write anything” I murmured. A conversation that continued for quite a while taking all the wrong moves; imposing a totally conflicting message from what I had ever believed in.
 
Like any other young girl in my sleepy village then, school was fun and simply enjoyable.
A jovial, confident and fun girl I was, and brilliant too- at least dad/mum made me believe that I was. 
Until that cold conversation that early Monday morning with my English teacher came into picture; clogging my system with a shadow of self- doubt and phobia; tossing my identity left right and centre.
 
The moments there after were unique- not for better though!
Every time I had to write something on our dilapidated black board, something would just go wrong.
I couldn’t understand why they had to force me use my right hand.
 
Somehow they found their way through; piercing deep into my soul and igniting a birth of a young fearful and quiet girl; I was no longer excited and especially on things that had to do with my condemned left hand.

I could almost always confuse those mandatory righty-handshakes.
Talk of school right- handed desks; which constantly reminded me that I was different plus my misbehaving left arm elbow which pushed my seatmates away.
How I loved music festivals! Despite my deviating left leg; when everybody else is moving to the right, I move to the left but maintain the harmonious rhythm- I think I’m also left- legged.J
 
Even now, all these things seem to be oriented for just righties so to speak- talk of being left- handed in right- handed world!
I precisely had to fight my way through and it’s not been a cakewalk.
Those moments made me stronger and still more moments continue to be born. 

Despite all these, I'm glad that I regained my profound identity- freedom in left handedness!
And yes my fun, jovial and bold girl is back- she’s here to stay- she’s grown and clearly understands her purpose in life.
And her left hand will have to be part of the journey!
 
And this is the story of my left- hand wrangle!!
Left- hand fingers jolly typing J....
Mwende

2 comments:

  1. Yes miss Smily dimples.... :-) "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." - Ralph Eldo Emerson.
    Keep being, living, and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Rightful Thinking

You make your life through your thoughts; make it well. My grandma used to say this countless times such that it became a saying that ...